What Types of Damages Are Available in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
People typically ask our personal injury attorneys what their motorcycle accident claim is worth. The circumstances of each accident differ, so predicting a dollar amount is next to impossible. Ultimately, the damages awarded may be influenced by the bias of a jury (if the case goes to trial), what the defendant will pay, and what the plaintiff accepts.
Given the nature of motorcycle accidents, victims are susceptible to all types of injuries and outcomes. Compensation can depend on various factors, including the severity of injuries, their impact on the plaintiff’s job and life, and the impact on the other driver. Our Los Angeles or Orange County personal injury attorney can help obtain damages in a motorcycle accident lawsuit including:
- Motorcycle accident injuries can involve the brain and spinal cord, multiple broken bones, organ damage, and even amputated limbs. Emergency treatment, surgeries, and rehabilitation are expensive, as are hospital stays. You can recover the costs of medical expenses already paid and future medical care doctors predict you will likely need.
Pain and Suffering
- A personal injury claim can address the pain and suffering you go through due to an accident caused by another party’s negligence. Motorcycle accidents can be traumatic physically and emotionally for the victim and their immediate families. One can seek compensation for damages beyond medical expenses, property damage, and loss of income.
- Mental pain and trauma may be put in a separate category, especially if the victim’s injuries cause them grief or prevent them from participating in favorite activities or family events. If there are important tasks you can no longer manage, you can claim impairment, which is another type of damage.
Loss of Earnings Capacity
- Many motorcycle accident victims are left unable to perform basic job duties, at least temporarily. Serious injuries can result in permanent disabilities. As a result, you may have no steady source of income. A Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney can help get compensation for loss of your current and future income, based on your salary.
- Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be entitled to compensation for motorcycle repair costs. Damages may also cover the cost of rental vehicles, or the entire cost of the motorcycle if it has been damaged beyond repair.
- If another motorist’s conduct, negligence, or malicious actions caused the accident, punitive damages can be assessed against them. These are not compensatory in nature, but can be intended to punish the defendant for their recklessness. One example is in a DWI case in which driver’s intoxication puts the safety of others in jeopardy.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact The Law Offices of Jacob Emrani. Our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys serve all of California (including the Inland Empire, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego County & Ventura County)Los Angeles and Orange County) and know all the laws and procedures to help get you maximum compensation. Request a consultation online or call us at 888-952-2952 today.