The Most Dangerous Times To Drive In LA
Auto accident rates in Los Angeles have escalated over the years, as the metro area has increased in population and motor vehicle traffic. Naturally, the risk of being involved in an accident while driving is even higher during the heaviest traffic hours, when so many people are in a hurry trying to get home from work. And, when a drunk driver enters the mix on a busy freeway, the potential for a serious accident climbs off the charts.
The most effective approach to avoiding car accidents in LA is to be aware of when and where you can expect to encounter the greatest risk of being involved in an automobile crash in the metro area. Below is some very useful information about the most common times, places and causes of accidents in the LA area. Being aware of these high-risk driving situations can help you better focus on taking all necessary precautions to protect yourself from being in a serious LA car accident.
How Many Accidents Happen in Los Angeles
LA County was at the top of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) 2016 list of California’s most fatal counties for drivers, as it was in 2012 and every year since. Over 20% of all California traffic fatalities occurred in LA County in 2016, with no other county exceeding 9%. A total of approximately 55,360 auto accidents occurred in the LA area during 2016, of which 794 resulted in deaths.
Worst Weekday for LA Auto Accidents
An Annenberg School of Journalism study of accident data found that records of auto accidents in LA County by day of the week revealed the following information about the most dangerous times to drive in the area during 2016:
- Monday — Based on the number of accidents, which were nearly 25,886, Monday was the safest worday for driving in the lA area.
- Tuesday through Thursday — Accident totals for the area increased precipitousy throughout the work week.
- Friday — LA freeways have the highest number of collisions on Fridays. A total of 30,756 crashes occurred on a Friday in 2016.
- Saturday — This is a safer driving day for driving in Los Angeles than the weekdays, with a still the quite large number of 24,600 auto accidents.
- Sunday — By far the safest day to drive in the LA area, Sunday’s recorded accident totals were 10,000 less than on Fridays.
Worst Hours for Car Wrecks in LA
The Annenberg research also reveals the very broad disparity in driving safety based on hours of the day and days of the week. the fours years of accident data prior to, and including 2016 found that on whatever day you are driving in the LA area, your greatest risk of being involved in an auto accident is between the hours of 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The worst of all driving hours on the worst of all days and times to drive in the Los Angeles area is on Friday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. A full 20% of Friday’s incidents took place between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., which is 23% higher than Monday’s and Wednesday’s rush hour totals in 2016.
Monday s only 12 percent of accidents between 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., make it the safest rush hour for lA area workers. Of Sunday’s total of 21,089 accidents during 2016, just 9% occurred between 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., which is is 89% lower than the spectacuarly more dangerous Friday night rush hour period.
Note that days leading up to holidays, when people are rushing even more to fit in their lists of addtional errands can bring even greater risks for drivers.
Most Common Areas for Auto Accidents in LA
A University of Southern California study has determined the following roads were the most dangerous for driving in 2016.
- The confluence of state highways 57 and 60. this is the location with the highest number of recorded collisions for the period of 2016.
- Another road with among the highest numbers of accidents included the hwy 5 and 605 interchange.
- The hwy 91 and Green Road intersection also had a comparatively high number of accidents.
Common Causes of Car Crashes in LA
The American Automobile Association finds that the greater traffic volume combined with the eagerness of drivers to get places faster on Friday afternoons increases accident risks. The convergence of vehicles with drivers rushing to get home quickly on Friday, to get ready for evening or weekend plans, or to leave on a weekend trip out of town raises the risk of accidents.
- Traffic Volume — Data from approximately 25,000 sensors in LA freeways and streets are used to measure traffic volume (and other road usage factors) indicate that rush hours, especially Friday afternoon’s, are the times the roads are busiest .
- Distracted Drivers — The California Highway Patrol now views traffic accident injuries as a public health crisis. Distracted driving, due to adjusting radios, eating, and especially to cell phone use, in addition to traffic volume, bears a large amount of accountability for a nation-wide increase in accidents.
- Inexperienced Drivers — Younger drivers are more likely to play with radios and phone features while driving. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that although only 6.4% of U.S. American drivers are under age 20, these drivers account for 14% of driving injury accidents. Young drivers also account for 38% of the total number of drivers who are in fatal car crashes due to being distracted by using cell phones while driving.
What to Do if You are Injured in a California Car Accident
Personal injury cases are complex. The legal requirements for processing a case through the court system entails many rules that must be followed and legal requirements that must be met in order to succeed. Defense attorneys are very skilled in overpowering unprepared plaintiffs. If you or a loved one has been involved in a serious car accident in Los Angeles, you need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer, to help you through the legal process.
A qualified Los Angeles car accident attorney, with a strong track record in handling cases of serious car, truck and motorcycle accidents can ensure that your rights are fully proteted in the California civil court and that you receive all compensation to which you are legally entitled.
For More Information
The experienced and dedicated legal staff at the Law Offices of Jacob Emrani can ensure that all of your rights are fully protected. If you or a member of your family has been injured in a Los Angles car accident, truck accident, motocycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, we will fight to make sure you receive the full amount of compensation that is legally allowed. Contact Jacob Emrani, to arrange a consultation to discuss your situation with a qualified Los Angeles personal injury attorney.