What To Do When Dealing With A Hit and Run
If you are the victim of a hit and run, you need a Los Angeles personal injury attorney like The Law Offices of Jacob Emrani. Find out more about what a hit and run is, and how to handle the situation.
What is a Hit and Run?
A hit and run occurS whenever the driver of a motor vehicle fails to stop and remain at the scene after an accident involving either another motor vehicle, pedestrian, bicyclist or even an inanimate object.
What Are Accident Drivers Legally Bound to Do?
Any driver involved in any kind of accident is bound to stop their vehicle and provide a license number, contact information, vehicle registration and license plate numbers as well as insurance information in most states. In instances where the accident driver is alone and there are no witnesses, the driver is legally bound to claim involvement by leaving a note and reporting the incident to authorities.
Why Do Drivers Hit And Run?
There are several reasons why an accident driver would hit and run. Common reasons include inebriation or drug use, lack of insurance, suspended driver’s license or no license or car theft. Less commonly, an accident driver may hit and run out of ignorance that they were involved in an accident. For example, they may have hit a bicyclist with the side of the vehicle and had the radio turned up and didn’t hear the collision.
What to Do After a Hit and Run
If a hit and run driver causes you damage or injury, there are steps you can take to receive due compensation.
- First, report the accident to police. Remain at the scene if possible so you can describe what happened and show police where it occurred.
- Second, look for witnesses to the accident. Ask everyone in the area if they saw what happened. Get their contact information. If possible, ask police to speak to witnesses and take reports right at the scene.
- Third, use your phone to take photos for a record. Images you’ll want to capture include nearby parked cars and license plates, weather conditions, broken glass, car parts, etc. and traffic signage. You might also use your phone to take video footage of the area.
- Next, contact a personal injury attorney before you call your insurance company. Personal injury attorneys handle many types of injuries, including those resulting from hit and runs. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to advise you about how to handle your insurance claim, as well as other steps you can take to ensure fair compensation.
- Finally, if you’ve suffered an injury, no matter how small, visit a physician right away. Be sure to get a record of your visit and ask plenty of questions about your injuries. This doctor’s visit record will help your attorney to work your case.
Remember, no matter how unlikely you think your chances are for catching the hit and run driver, there are many methods available to a qualified and experienced personal injury attorney.
As a victim, you are entitled to get the best legal outcome possible for your pain and suffering, and a car accident attorney can help with that. The Law Offices of Jacob Emrani can help fight for your justice and get fair compensation. Contact us today.